October 1, 2023
Curtis Worland Obituary, Curtis Worland has died - Death

Curtis Worland Obituary, Curtis Worland has died – Death

Curtis Worland Obituary, Death – Curtis Matthew Worland, age 36, was killed on the 12th of janr, 2023, when he was attacked by a musk ox while working in Nome, Alaska, trying to keep a herd of musk oxen away from his dog kennel. He died as a result of the attack. It is the first time that Alaska has had a Court Services Officer die in the line of duty, and he is the 69th law enforcement officer to die in Alaska.

At the Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on February 6, 1986, Curtis Worland was born to his parents, Charles “Brian” Worland and Jacqueline Kay Worland. Curtis and his family relocated to Lebanon, Illinois, not long after he was first brought into the world. He was an outstanding athlete in his youth, particularly on the football and baseball fields. Curtis went to Alaska in June of 1998, and shortly after the Fourth of July that year, he caught his first king salmon in Montana Creek.

He fell in love with the midnight sun and all of the outdoor activities that Alaska had to offer and decided to make the state his permanent home. Before moving on to complete his education at Bartlett High School and earning his diploma in 2004, Curtis received his education at Central Middle School. On May 28, 2004, only a few days after graduating from high school, Curtis set off on a journey with his brothers Christopher and Charles to raise money for the Make a Wish Foundation by riding their bicycles from Anchorage.

Alaska to Miami, Florida. On their journey, which was around 5,612 miles long, the brothers experienced a lot of exciting things, like being chased by a bear outside of Fort Yukon, which is located in Canada. Curtis and his brothers made several stops on their trip to Florida, including at Masonic Children’s Hospital, Carinal Glennon Children’s Hospital, and Riley’s Hospital for Children. At each of these hospitals, they spoke with children who were battling various forms of cancer. Whenever they went on one of their lengthy bike trips, Curtis made sure to keep his brothers engaged in some way. This vacation cemented his relationship with his brothers and provided them with memories that will last a lifetime.

In December 2009, Curtis joined the Alaska State Troopers as a Court Services officer. He spent his whole 13-year tenure at the Nome AST post, where he had served since the beginning of his career. The award for Outstanding Court Services Officer of the Year was bestowed upon him in the year 2011. He had a deep appreciation for both his work and the colleagues he shared it with.